Expert Chimney Sweeps in West Orange, NJ – Discover the Difference with Garden State Chimney
Many years after the American Revolution, this same town in Essex County became home to Thomas Edison. He maintained a laboratory and workshop right in the middle of town, where he invented the practical phonograph, the movie camera, the improved storage battery, the fluoroscopy, and synthetic rubber derived from plants.
And after immersing yourself in the rich history that West Orange, NJ has to offer, what better way to wrap up the day than by relaxing next to a warm and inviting fire? When it comes to ensuring the safety and efficiency of your fireplace, you can trust Garden State Chimney to provide expert and reliable chimney care.
From chimney inspections and cleanings to repairs and installations, rest assured that your fireplace in West Orange or any of the surrounding communities will be in capable hands. Call us at 973-519-0802 or reach out to us online today.
How Often Should I Have My Chimney Swept?
Getting your chimney swept is one of the most important tasks in helping maintain your fireplace. In fact, it’s so important that the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) recommends that this service be done at least once a year. When we say, at least once a year, many wonder… Why would someone need a chimney sweep more often than that?
- Frequency of Use: How often are you using your fireplace? If you are the type of person who is cold all the time and has the fireplace going all year long, we might suggest you have your chimney and fireplace swept more often.
- Age & Condition: If your chimney is old and you’re unsure of the condition of the inside of it, you need to not only schedule a chimney sweep, but consider scheduling an inspection with Garden State Chimney, as well. Older chimneys have a tendency to not expel smoke and soot as efficiently as they should, which results in an excessive buildup of soot and creosote.
- Type of Fuel: Wood-burning fireplaces produce more combustible byproducts from the fireplace compared to gas appliances. So it should be no surprise that we recommend wood-burning fireplaces to be cleaned more frequently.
- Chimney Issues: If you’ve had your fireplace and chimney swept within the last year, but are still experiencing problems with starting or keeping a flame going, foul odors coming from the chimney, or have evidence of animals in the chimney, don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with us. We would be happy to come take another look.
At Garden State Chimney, our dedicated team is committed to providing expert services, teaming together to help ensure the continued safe and efficient operation of your fireplace. Be proactive with scheduling annual chimney sweeps by giving us a call today at 973-519-0802 or by reaching out online today.
Are Chimney Sweeps Only for Wood-Burning Fireplaces?
It’s common for people to believe that, because their gas fireplace produces very little creosote, ash, or soot, then regular cleanings aren’t required.
However, this assumption isn’t accurate. While it is true that gas appliances produce fewer combustion byproducts compared to wood-burning fireplaces, they still produce some. Even small amounts of buildup over a long period of time can lead to hazards, like potential blockages, reduced efficiency, and risk of chimney fires as a traditional fireplace. Therefore, regular cleanings are still necessary and recommended.
Can Chimney Technicians Perform Repairs?
Oftentimes, we find hidden problems that would’ve gone undetected had we not been given an opportunity to scrub away all the soot and creosote. That’s arguably one of the best reasons to hire a certified chimney company – because, more often than not, certified chimney technicians are trained and experienced in not only inspections and sweeps, but also able to identify various chimney issues and provide recommendations for necessary repairs.
It’s kind of like going to the dentist. It doesn’t matter that you spend time twice a day, every day, brushing your teeth. It takes a professional to provide a thorough cleaning and closely inspect all of your teeth to make sure there aren’t any cavities or other issues that require additional services.
Some of the most common issues we find after a chimney sweep are:
- Damaged Flue Liner: The flue liner acts as a shield against the chimney wall to help keep creosote, smoke, and harmful gases from leaking back into your home. Because a flue liner is frequently exposed to high temperatures from the fire, it is common for these to crack and deteriorate over time.
- Damaged Masonry: A simple crack in the brick or mortar of the chimney can allow water to seep in. Bricks are naturally porous, so water exposure can eventually lead to cracks, rusting, deterioration, and other damage – all of which puts your household at risk every time you light a fire.
- Chimney Crown or Cap Damage: The chimney crown and cap both sit on the very top of the chimney to help protect it against water and debris. This is a pretty vulnerable location since it is exposed to all of the various weather conditions we experience in West Orange, NJ. A well-built crown and properly-fitted cap are a must.
- Animals or Bird Nests: Most people don’t enjoy unannounced visitors – especially one with four legs or a set of wings. If you hear scurrying in the chimney or find nesting materials or animal droppings in your fireplace, it is likely there is a creature seeking sanctuary in your chimney. We can help humanely remove them for you.
- Damper Issues: If you have had any recent chimney leak problems, and your damper is hard to open or close, it is likely that it has rusted. It is important to get the damper replaced since that helps control proper draft and energy efficiency.
What Other Services Does Garden State Chimney Offer?
We like to think of ourselves as a one stop shop for all chimney and fireplace related concerns. In addition to chimney sweeps, we also offer:
- Chimney Inspections: Not sure whether you need a level 1 or level 2 inspection? A level 1 inspection is the most basic and commonly performed type of chimney inspection. A level 2 inspection is recommended if you made any changes to the chimney system or if you are selling the property. Using a special camera that rotates 360 degrees, we are able to view every nook and cranny of the flue. This ensures that the chimney and fireplace are in optimal condition for burning fires.
- Chimney & Fireplace Repairs: Unfortunately, there are so many places where water could be leaking from. Without yearly inspections and cleanings, these issues can go undetected until they become a severe issue and an expensive repair. Just another reason to keep up with regular chimney sweeps and inspections.
- Chimney Relining: We mentioned earlier how a flue liner acts as a shield against the chimney wall. Did you know that fixing a damaged or deteriorated flue liner can be as simple as having it relined? Whether you are considering HeatShield resurfacing or a full flue relining on your furnace, boiler, or water heater, we know it all.
- Fireplace & Insert Installation: Are you tired of the maintenance and hard work required in order to have a functioning wood-burning fireplace? We are happy to replace it with a gas fireplace, gas logs, or a gas insert. With extensive experience in all aspects of this industry, we are well-equipped to confidently handle a wide range of installation jobs.
- Gas Fireplace Service: After the installation of your new gas fireplace, we are happy to come back and provide necessary maintenance services, ensuring flawless operation for years to come. You can count on us to keep your gas fireplace in optimal condition, offering you continued comfort and peace of mind for years to come.
Call On Our Chimney Experts Today
So what are you waiting for? Take the first step towards a safer and more efficient fireplace experience by reaching out to Garden State Chimney today. Our expert team is ready to assist you with all of your chimney needs.
Give us a call at 973-519-0802 or reach out to us online to discover why Garden State Chimney is the preferred choice for reliable and professional chimney services in West Orange, East Orange, Bloomfield, Verona, Roseland, and many more cities surrounding. You deserve the best, and we are here to provide just that.